Matthew, Mark, Mission | Serving Is Part of Discipleship


Matthew, Mark, Mission | Serving is Part of Discipleship

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” – Matthew 22:37-40

 

45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” – Mark 10:45

 

PUSH FORWARD

Last November, wow that seems like a long time ago even though it was only a year ago (shops were open, we did not wear masks, and people could move around freely), my son had a birthday.  For his birthday I built push carts.  I took furniture dollies, attached a couple of 2x4 as handles, and built a cardboard frame around it.  We pretended they were Mario Karts.  Actually, they turned out surprisingly good.  What I did not anticipate was how the wheels, being small, would catch on the road pavement when we pushed them.  A kid would sit inside and then a parent would push from behind. My road has a few holes in it so as you are racing down the street your Kart comes to a halt.  One could stop where they are at and give up, but what is the fun in that.  Every parent found it within them to push harder when they got stuck and every kid made it across the finish line.  Seriously, who is going to be that parent that makes their kid cry because they gave up (Not Me)! It is the same with life.  Sometimes we are going to run into a pothole aka a pandemic.  Are you going to give up or are you going to push forward? Pushing forward looks like serving others! Here are a couple ways to push forward in the midst of a pandemic. 

 

MATTHEW

One of my favorite scriptures in the who bible is obviously the greatest commandment to Love God and to Love others.  What I often miss is that second part of Loving your neighbor where it says as yourself.  What does it mean to love your neighbor as yourself?  As we are going through this pandemic, I realized that I need people in my life whom I can connect with.  I cannot do this alone.  My family cannot do this alone either.  Early on in this pandemic we decided to meet regularly with a few families in person.  These were families we knew we could trust that our kids could play with, and that we could have real conversations with.  We initially did this out of a personal need, but soon realized this fulfilled a need in those families as well.  The Washington post recently had an article titled “Let us call it what it is. We’re in a Pandemic Depression.”  Many people are struggling with isolation, the loss of sports/school/work, the separation from friends and family, and all the social distancing.  We are social beings; this does not feel normal.  So, I began to think what if loving our neighbor as yourself meant reaching out to people who are homebound, isolated, have no family, and are without human interaction.  The need that I have for human connection I bet my neighbor on either side of me does too.

 

MARK

Jesus was relentless in serving those around him.  Jesus did not let an angry mob or even being hung on a cross stop him from blessing those within his sphere of influence.  Jesus fed the hungry, gave sight to the blind, blessed a robber on the cross, showed mercy to his enemies, helped the poor, and redeemed a woman at the well.  The scriptures talk about how Jesus did not allow his circumstances to determine his character.  He did not limit his servants’ heart because of unfortunate situations.  Jesus intervened on the behalf of others when things seemed most grim.  What if loving your neighbor as yourself means to continue to serve those around you even though the circumstance is less than ideal?  Some days I feel stuck in a perpetual ground hog day.  It is not easy to push through potholes, but someone is counting on you, are you really going to let them down.  

 

MISSION

As followers of Christ, I think it is part of our mission to serve those around us.  I also think that serving is an essential part of discipleship.  The Christian post in a recent article defined discipleship like this, “Discipleship is a fancy word meaning how you mature in Christ, how Christ is formed in you — in your thoughts, your actions, your life.”  If I deem Christ as my Lord and Savior, then I should mirror the behaviors of the one I follow.  Serving others is not just what God asks of us, it is actually part of our who we are as followers of Christ.  Serving others is part of our discipleship and the discipleship of others.  This pandemic has cause each of us to get stuck, but it is time to push forward.  I do not want to be the parent or disciple who does not cross that finish line. 

 

Practically Speaking | How Might We Make Serving Part of Discipleship?

Ø  Began by praying for God to open up your heart to those in need.  Write down those people that God places upon your heart. I did this by creating a FRANC list.  Friends, Relatives, Acquaintances, Neighbors, and Coworkers. I wrote down everyone I could think of, literally everyone, it was a long list. Then I prayed over them by name every day.  The weird thing was I started having deeper conversations and connections with some of them. 

Ø  Write a letter, call, zoom, or heck even knock on the door of someone God has placed upon your heart.  The great thing about technology is that we have lots of ways to facilitate personal connection.

Ø  Go a step further and invite someone to have a meal with you or you drop a meal off at there door.  We did our gathering outside, with social distance, and had everyone bring their own food. 

Ø  Do not worry about trying to make a connection with everybody.  

Popular posts from this blog

Leadership Tools 13- Speaking and Testimony

Hope Unites

Leadership Tools 9- Managing Confidentiality