Ramp Up | What Stops Us From Risk?



Ramp Up | What Stops Us From Risk?

42All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals and to prayer. 43A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. 45They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. 46They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity46 Or and sincere hearts.—47all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved. – Acts 2:42-47

 

RISK

When I was young, I remember riding my bike for the first time and the imminent fear that followed.  I crashed a few times and endured a few wounds before finally figuring out how to maneuver the bike.  If I am being honest, I probably crashed quite a bit, after all my nick name was Crash. :) I remember moving up to middle school then high school then off to college.  Each time seemed scarier than the last but as the risk grew there appeared to be a grandeur reward.  I could not stay in middle school or high school my whole life, I had to move forward. Sometimes risk is forced upon us.  Other times we take a leap of faith on our own.  Each situation and decision give us an opportunity to respond.  In an article by business wire they noted that 32% of people regret the major choices they made in their lives.  It also noted that 93% of Americans had a favorable view of living an extra 30 years.  With the extra life nearly, a quarter noted they would “take more risks in life,” 56% said travel more, or move 35%.  The top regrets were not following their dream, not taking risks with their career, and not taking risks with their lives in general.  So, what is stopping you from taking a risk? What would it look like to risk for God?

 

RAMP

My son loves to ride his bike and scooter.  He probably would be outside all day if I let him.  On this day we decided to hit a skate park we had not been to yet.  For 2 hours my boy tried and tried to hit this step ramp.  This boy was determined and with dinner coming upon us I gave a two-minute warning.  It was not that the ramp was too big for him, or that he was not skilled enough, it was that he did not have the courage to overcome the obstacle/fear that laid before him.  On his final run, I told him I would position myself at the bottom of the ramp where I could push him up the ramp, but he had to pedal the whole way through.  As my boy comes flying toward the ramp two skate boarders, who were about my age, started cheering him on and my boy miraculously increased his speed.  He hits the ramp so hard I can barely touch him before he makes it up to the top.  Everyone goes wild for him.  The risk was worth the reward.  I challenge him to take another go at it but this time without me standing at the bottom of the ramp.  He shakes his head; I then lean over to him and tell him that he did it on his own. He lights up and ends up hitting that ramp 4 more times.

 

REWARD

Often times what I find stopping us from taking that risk is ourselves.  Sometimes we do not have the courage to do what is asked of us.  Sometimes we are afraid not because we are not equipped or unable but because we do not believe in who we are.  The fear of failing seems to outweigh the reward.  When I read this scripture from Acts 2, I think about all the obstacles and challenges that were before them.  These individuals had their life interrupted by Jesus.  Their jobs, family, and their lifestyles were uprooted.  They could have succumbed to the fear.  God was calling them, and they did not have to respond.  Obviously, there were those who did not respond to the Gospel but those who did respond experienced a deep sense of awe.  The apostle performed many miraculous signs and wonders.  They realized the reward outweighed the risk.  These individuals gave up everything to pursue a relationship with Jesus.  It says they sold their possessions and they worshiped together at the temple daily.  And that God added to their fellowship daily. 

 

What is stopping you from risking for God?

Do you believe that when you risk it all God will deliver you and proved for your every need?

 

The other thing that stands out to me is how they did not risk alone.  It was a community of believers living into the calling and moving forward the vision that God had placed upon them.  The scriptures tell us how they were praising God and blessing one another.  God intentionally puts people into our lives whom we can risk together with.  When God calls us to risk, we never have to do it alone.  My son did not believe he could do it on his own, so two random strangers and myself helped him to ramp up.  Just like my son or the believers in Acts 2 needed one another, we too need one another for encouragement, support, and accountability.  Oh yes, and celebration.  It’s not fun celebrating successes by yourself.  In the book Good to Great, Jim Collins says, “It doesn’t matter where the bus is going.  All that matters who’s on the bus.” 

What is God asking of you and who do you have risking with you?

Practically Speaking | How might we Risk for God?

Ø  Go to a strange land or learn about a strange culture or reach out to someone from a different background.  (Hebrews 11:8)

Ø  Feed the Hungry (Ecclesiastes 11:1-3)

Ø  Share Your Resources with those in Need (Ephesians 4:28)

Ø  Serve God in Difficult Circumstances (Acts 16)

Ø  Deny Yourself and Follow God (11:24-26)


Popular posts from this blog

Leadership Tools 13- Speaking and Testimony

Leadership Tools 9- Managing Confidentiality

Hope Unites