DEVO | 1 Peter 3



Scripture- Verse 3

3Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. 4You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.

First off, I acknowledge that the writer is addressing the women primarily in verse 3, but I believe that its message is applicable to everyone.  I used to be little obsessed with my looks.  In High School and early college, I would buy jeans that cost $100 and my hair product would cost way beyond that.  I worked a lot of extra hours to keep up my fashionista self. I freaked out if my hair was not in the right place.  A sweat mark spelled disaster for me.  Oh, do not get me started on my shoes.  But over the years I have let that go, mostly.  I still cannot wear any shoe but Adidas.  We will leave that for another conversation.  I have come to realize that I am much happier focusing on my relationship with Christ, my relationship with others, and spending my time (and money) elsewhere.  However, it is not like that temptation for things necessarily went away.  Every day as I scroll through social media, news, and other media sources I come across things that I desire or want.  Like the newest mic that syncs with my phone from a distance.  Or this automatic coffee pour over machine.  My obsession with coffee some says is a little much.  Come on, I only have 5 ways of making coffee at my house, a few posters about making coffee, and coffee shipped in from other parts of the world. It is not like I am looking at buying a roasting machine, but I did see one today on amazon.  Whether we put them on our body or put them in our house or put them in our driveway it is really easy to get wrapped up in shinny things.  Happiness is fleeting.  Each new thing only buys a small bite of happiness, but joy comes from the Lord.  When Jesus met the woman at the well, he offered her living water.  Her whole life had been about filling a gaping hole unsuccessfully with finite substances whereas Jesus offered something that would provide eternal fulfillment.  This scripture reminds me to maintain my focus on Godly things.  That God does not care about our worldly positions or outward appearance that God looks at the heart. 

Observation- There is a command here to not be concerned with the outward appearance.  In 1 Peter 3, the writer here is focusing his command upon women but is applicable to everyone.  In verse 7, the writer asks men to honor their wives.  Men tend to belittle those weaker than they or can tend to demean women (the deplorable phrase, “locker room talk”).  The writer is calling followers of Christ to live in a different way. Not only does the writer of this text not approve of this behavior, but it is also counter to God’s way.  One is not above the other as society has deemed it to be so.  The writer then goes on to talk about in verse 8 why we would do such counter intuitive behavior.  Why might we not buy the shiniest outfit? Why might we not be self-absorbed? Why we would honor and elevate women when our friends are diminishing their value?  It is so that we can love others and sympathize with each other.  Verse 16, so that we can have a clear conscience because we belong to Christ.  Why? Because Christ did this for us, He suffered for us, He died on our behalf, and his life was an act of love for us.  The very least we can do is act in accordance with Christ and His teachings. 

Application- Our outward behavior reflects our inward heart. If we desire to please the world with our dress, behavior, or possessions then our heart has been captured by the world.  God wants our heart. Let us not be led astray by the world but instead be capture by the overwhelming love of God.  These things that temp us or cause us to be obsessed about surrender them to Jesus and pray that He would take those away from you.   

Prayer- That we may let our heart be guided by God and not by this world.  


Popular posts from this blog

Leadership Tools 13- Speaking and Testimony

Hope Unites

Leadership Tools 9- Managing Confidentiality