Intentional Targets | An Invitation to Take the Next Step




Intentional Targets | An Invitation to Take the Next Step

Jesus Calls His First Disciples
18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James's son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.


AIMING RIGHT
As a kid I remember going to summer camp each year.  I loved the food, hanging out with friends, playing games, watching hilarious skits, and participating in the assortment of activities.  One of my favorite activities was archery.  I loved archery but archery didn't love me.  I struggled to hit the target and if I'm being really honest, I struggled to even shoot the arrow correctly.  My arrows would fall short of the target, fly off into an unknown direction, or mysteriously disappear into thin air.  I commend the leaders for their bravery because I wouldn't have given me a bow and arrow knowing how bad I was.  Those who could wield the bow and arrow were magical in my eyes.  One of my leaders could hit the target with effortless precision.  He was intentional about the way he handled the bow, where he pointed the arrow, how he placed his feet, the placement of his hands, and how he peered across the bow.  That same intentionality is how we should approach discipleship.  Bob Goff in his book undistracted says, "If we're willing to show up, God will provide us what we need and someone to share it with." 

WRONG EXPECTATIONS
When I read about the first disciples, I see how Jesus was intentional about his first encounter with those individuals.  Peter, Andrew, James, and John were all fishing when they first encountered Jesus.  The scriptures say that Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee when he spotted them.  I can imagine Jesus watching from afar, observing their every movement, understanding their craft, and discerning their character as he comes near.   Jesus wasn't waiting at the synagogue hoping that they would magically skip their work duties to show up.  Instead, he was intentional about pursuing his targets.  I think it's what the church has gotten mixed up.  The church; and yes, I'm part of the church; has gotten so focus upon designing the perfect worship service, crafting an eloquent message, and designing programs that ask the individual to come to the church instead of moving the church to the people.  But what if we knew the people in our community the way my leader knew his bow and arrow.  What if we spent time watching how people work/play, got to know them in their space, developed relationships, and cultivated community outside of the church walls?  The expectation then wouldn't be upon the individual but the follower of Jesus/the church.  

DESIRE TO BE DIFFERENT
I was recently reflecting upon the experiences, ministries, and people who had the most impact upon my faith life.  I noticed that those things that played a significant role in developing me had little to do with a particular program or church.  I remember when my youth pastor showed up at my game, or a conversation I had with a specific individual, or a communal faith experience, or when Jesus became incarnational because of how an individual interacted with me.  Someone had experienced a transformation, discovered an indescribable joy/love, and felt freedom because of their encounter with Jesus who wanted to share that with me.  Their invitation for me to take the next step toward Jesus wasn't random but an intentional decision upon their part.  Along the way people continued to invest in me and eventually I moved from the crowd to an attender, to being discipled, to fully devoted, and finally into a servant leader.  Now the ownness is upon me be the church in the community to which I am a part of.  

Practically Speaking | How Might We Be Intentional in Discipleship?
> Being with prayer.  Every morning I wake up and ask God to show me how I can be a reflection of his love in this world.  My hope is to live with intentionality.  I can't say I do this well all the time, but I find when I am actively trying to help people have an encounter with Jesus that God usually places someone before me.  

> Build relationships.  Showing up at the same coffee shop or park or school or workplace naturally facilitates opportunities for connection.  I then need to be intentional about those connections.  How might I invite that person to take the next step in their walk?  I would be arrogant to think that every interaction I have results in a conversation.  Perhaps though I can help them encounter Jesus or get a glimpse of the kingdom.  

> Be Communal.  My path towards accepting Christ into my life was a communal experience.  People from all walks of life invited me into their lives and I caught a glimpse of Jesus.  They invested in me and didn't give up.  They invited other people to be part of the process and Jesus became a communal rather than an individual experience.  

Popular posts from this blog

Leadership Tools 13- Speaking and Testimony

Hope Unites

Leadership Tools 9- Managing Confidentiality